he Youth Adventure Trust is a registered youth development charity working with vulnerable young people aged 11 to 16 years old from Wiltshire and Swindon. Our programme provides young people with the chance to try new things and challenge themselves, experience success, learn to go beyond their expectations and grow in confidence. They have the chance to take part in a range of activities, work in a team, experience group living and challenge themselves in a new environment. The programme is built around three residential adventure camps and a series of day activities.
Our fundraising challenge events offer an opportunity to companies and the general public to support this work. These events, from climbing mountains to multi-discipline endurance events, raise essential funds for the charity and take place in some of Britain’s most picturesque and impressive landscapes.
With the support of Youth Adventure Trust staff and event organisers, volunteers help in a range of tasks over a weekend, including team registration, marshalling, assisting participants to resolve problems and offering support and encouragement.
What can you bring to the role?
- An interest and enthusiasm for outdoor activities
- Positive energy, motivation and resilience in all weather conditions
- A range of experience, knowledge and skills including navigational, mountain and general outdoor awareness
What can the role offer you?
- A real sense of achievement in supporting participants to successfully and safely complete their challenge event, and in doing so raise money for the Trust. Pride in knowing that you have helped to give them a worthwhile, enjoyable and character building experience!
- A chance to connect with like-minded people
- Increased self-confidence and improved well being
- An opportunity to support a cause that you believe in, and to make a significant impact through volunteering, but without a regular commitment
- A chance to visit and explore remarkable and picturesque parts of the UK
- Provide references for future employment
What we would like from you
- No special skills are required, however volunteers need to be approachable, engaging, motivating, enthusiastic, hardworking and willing to get involved in a range of activities
- Some navigational and outdoor skills would be beneficial, but are not essential. It is a role for people comfortable and enthusiastic about spending long periods of time in a range of outdoor environments
- You need to be prepared for all weather conditions, and bring along your own equipment such as waterproofs, suitable clothing and footwear
- We accept applications from all over the country but you will be required to arrange your own travel to the event. Events typically require you to be available from Friday afternoon through to Sunday.
- You will need to represent the charity with professionalism and without prejudice
- No formal qualifications are required
- You must be aged over 18 years old
How the Youth Adventure Trust will support you
- Provide accommodation and meals. If the event requires camping you will need to bring your own sleeping bag and roll mat, but tents are provided
- Reimburse out of pocket expenses in accordance with our Volunteer Policy, and help to organise travel to activities
- Support from Youth Adventure Trust members of staff, event organisers and other Challenge Event Volunteers
- Provide comprehensive information and briefing in advance of any event, and the opportunity for debriefing afterwards
- Volunteer social events to provide the opportunity to connect with other volunteers
- The full support of a dedicated Volunteer Manager
How to apply
Contact Jon Rich, Volunteer Manager, on firstname.lastname@example.org or 07469 886523.
We’ll arrange a time to speak on the phone to talk in some more detail about the role, the events and the work of the Youth Adventure Trust. We’ll then email you an Application Form. On receipt of the form we’ll arrange for a further conversation where there will be an opportunity for you to share your experience and skills, as well as your motivations to volunteer.
The Youth Adventure Trust is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of young people and expects all volunteers to share this commitment.