The Mountain Camp is the first camp in your Youth Adventure Programme. It’ll be for 6 days in the summer holidays between Year 7 and Year 8. We’ll travel together on a coach to Maes y Fron Farm, which is in the Brecon Beacons in Wales. The camp is a chance to get to know the other young people and experience being away from home, staying in a tent and adventuring in the outdoors. The activities include canoeing, caving, gorge walking and climbing, plus an overnight mountain expedition!
You’ll have the chance to challenge yourself and set your own aims, and the team activities will help you to build your confidence, resilience and develop new skills.
You don’t need to bring any special equipment for the camp as we’ll have everything you need, from your tent and sleeping bag, to waterproof clothing and wellies. We’ll send you a kit list of what you do need to bring just before the camp.
Listed below are the items you will need to bring for the camp. Please bring old clothes and shoes where possible as we cannot be held responsible for damage to clothing during activities. This list is just intended as a guide, and you might like to pack extras, especially warm clothing.
- 10 Tops or T-shirts
- 6 Pairs of trousers (preferably tracksuit bottoms, leggings or similar – no jeans)
- 3 Warm tops (jumper or fleece)
- Shorts (an old pair, sports style would be ideal)
- 2 Pairs of trainers (This is imporant. There should be at least one old pair that can get wet)
- Underwear and socks (lots of pairs of socks as these tend to get very wet on activities)
- Suitable nightwear for cold nights
- Wash kit to include: toothbrush, toothpaste, shower gel, shampoo, deodrant and sunscreen.
- 2 Towels
- A Sun hat (this is really important, a baseball cap is ideal)
- A warm coat (waterproof if possible)
- Small rucksack/bag (for use during the day for lunch/spare clothing etc – school bag is fine)
- Torch and spare batteries
- 2 binbags (for wet/dirty clothing)
- Wellington boots if you have them (please don’t worry if you don’t)
- Walking boots/trainers if you have them (please don’t worry if you don’t)
- 1 water bottle with child’s name written on
NO MOBILE PHONES, ELECTRONIC GAMES OR GADGETS ARE ALLOWED AT CAMP. This is really important – any child who takes either will have them confiscated for the duration of the camp. The Youth Adventure Trust can not take responsibility for any such items.
You won’t need any pocket money as we won’t be visiting any shops.
Download the kit list as a Word document here.
- Consent Form
- Parent/Carer Feedback Form
- Young Person Feedback Form